VACANCY - POST OF COMMUNICATION OFFICER
The African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA) is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates who wish to be considered for the post of Communications Officer. The selected candidate will primarily work on a project which aims at establishing a regional communication and media hub and leading tobacco industry discrediting campaigns to build support for tobacco control in Africa.
ATCA is a non-profit and non-political Pan-African network of over 100 civil society organizations (CSOs) based in Lomé, Togo, and aims at promoting the health and well-being of the African population through tobacco control. Established in 2008, it carries out projects in African countries in collaboration with its CSO partners in view of implementing the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control of the World Health Organization (WHO FCTC).
ATCA is an equal opportunity employer and recruits for positions without consideration for race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin and marital status. Employment decisions are based entirely on merit.
THE POSITION: COMMUNICATION OFFICER
The Communication Officer will assist in conceptualizing, developing and implementing communication and advocacy plans and media campaigns and utilizing the media to build public awareness and engagement on tobacco issues across the continent. He/She will support the development and implementation of strategies to generate regional and in-country media coverage of tobacco control activities and tobacco industry tactics in collaboration with CSOs and other partners in the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in developing communication plans, pitching media stories and responding to media inquiries.
• Assist in developing and implementing media strategies to generate coverage by international, regional and in-country media on tobacco industry’s tactics, tobacco control issues, and policy-related topics.
• Assist in coordinating and supporting in-country tobacco control advocates to generate media coverage on industry practices and key tobacco control issues.
• Draft and edit press releases, social media content, and other communication materials, for use both by ATCA and partners.
• Help prepare briefing papers, fact sheets, reports, presentations, written testimony, and media materials.
• Support in responding rapidly and efficiently to partner’s requests as well as breaking news events.
• Assist in managing ATCA’s online presence and resource centre to engage and mobilize targeted audiences, as well as provide updated information on its activities and tobacco control.
• Perform any other cognate duties as assigned by the Executive Secretary of ATCA.
• A Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism or any other relevant fields of study and minimum three years relevant experience as described above.
• Excellent skills in writing and editing communication materials including press releases, pitch memos and social media content such as blogs and tweets.
• Strong knowledge and skills in using social media strategies to build and mobilize an active movement of engaged supporters.
• Ability to develop and implement media and communication strategies.
• Knowledge of tobacco industry strategies and tactics to influence public health policy is a plus.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of professionals, civil society organizations and government officials.
• Skills in networking and communication.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
• Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Proficiency in English and French, both written and spoken, required.
MODE OF APPLICATION
• Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only the best qualified candidates will be called for interview.
• ATCA reserves the right not to make any appointment following this advertisement without any obligation to give any reason to the candidate(s) of the grounds of its actions.
• The salary is negotiable.
• The duration of the contract will be for an initial period of eighteen (18) months with possibility of renewal.
• The selected candidate will be based in the office of ATCA in Lomé, Togo.
• ATCA does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.