CALL FOR APPLICATION
FOR GOVERNANCE MANUAL DEVELOPMENT
The African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA) is seeking offers for consultancy services for the development of an ATCA governance manual.
ATCA is a non-profit, non-political and continent-wide tobacco control alliance of civil society organizations (CSOs) with a vision to promote health by building a tobacco-free Africa. Established in 2008, the alliance is a unique Pan African tobacco control civil society network which currently has membership in 38 African countries. The alliance has developed to a network for synergy and sharing of tobacco control resources in Africa. It assures the coordination of its members’ efforts to promote the adoption and implementation of international, regional and national legal instruments, policies and activities on tobacco control within the African Region. The alliance is growing in number and expertise and is a key player in the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in Africa.
ATCA is currently implementing a project titled “Enhancing ATCA Capacity to Empower Africa CSOs (2EAC)” with the support of the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF). The goal of the project is to contribute to reducing the prevalence of tobacco use in Africa through the following specific objectives: (i) enhance the operational capacity of ATCA for effective coordination of CSOs agenda for tobacco control in Africa; and (ii) foster synergy on tobacco industry monitoring to facilitate adoption and effective implementation of FCTC-compliant policies in African countries.
ATCA elaborated a Governance Strengthening Strategy which outlined the alliance’s key governance strategic issues based on the ‘ten Principles of Good Governance in the 21st Century’ for non-profit organizations.
In this context, ATCA requires the services of a consultant who will, under the guidance of its Executive Secretary and Board of Directors, develop a governance manual for the alliance that clearly defines the respective roles, responsibilities and authorities of the three key entities of the alliance: the General Assembly, the Board of Directors and the Secretariat, both individually and collectively. The manual will also help define the relationship between the entities and how they operate. It will guide the management and the control of the organisation.
The objective of the consultancy is to develop a Governance Manual for the African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA) which will:
- be based on the constitution and other founding and core documents, in consultation with the Board of Directors and the Executive Secretary;
- review best practices of the alliance;
- review best practices of other regional and international civil society networks and develop the optimal and most effective guidelines to ensure active membership, and clarify roles, responsibilities and operations of the different entities.
3-SCOPE OF WORK
ATCA requires the selected consultant to carry out the following tasks:
a)review of the current set-up and challenges faced, via the analysis of secondary data and interviews held with all ATCA Board members, the Secretariat and a selection of active members of the alliance;
b)review of existing documents and best practices both at the levels of ATCA and other regional and international non-profit organizations
c)elaborate a draft Governance Manual in consultation with the Executive Secretary to be discussed with the Board of Directors;
d)participate in a validation workshop with the Board of Directors;
e) write a final Governance Manual to be submitted to the ATCA Board Chair.
• A note on the methodology/process and timelines
• A draft of the Governance Manual
• A final Governance Manual incorporating feedback from the board of directors.
The consultancy will be conducted from October – November 2020
The calculated duration for the review will be 20 working days:
- Five (5) days for a review of documents and the establishment of a Governance Manual structure.
- Five (5) days for the collection of further information and interactions with stakeholders.
- Ten (10) days for the drafting and finalization of the Governance Manual.
6- SELECTION CRITERIA
The selected consultant will be expected to have:
- Proven expertise and experience in the area of governance and organisational development, and working with non-profit civil-society organisations
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in leading an organisation
- Direct experience of operating at the governance level of one or more organisations at national, regional or international level in Africa
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written English/French skills
- Excellent communication and document writing skills
- Experience working on tobacco control and in regional networks will be an advantage.
- The selected applicant will ensure a high level of proficiency during the assignment.
- Any application received after the deadline will not be considered.
- ATCA reserves the right to award the contract to any applicant it considers qualified and to enter into negotiations with selected consultants to discuss proposed budget and/or any other matter that will be necessary to help for the selection.
- ATCA shall not in any way be obliged to reveal, or discuss with applicants, the proposal assessments, or provide information relating to the selection process.
- Only successful candidates will be notified of their being shortlisted.
- ATCA does not hire the services of consultants directly or indirectly associated with the tobacco industry.
8- EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested consultants should submit a proposal, structured to include the following information:
• Self-introduction letter
• Curriculum vitae
• Stated experience in the above required technical area(s)
• Proven record in similar consultation
• Financial proposal
9- DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
10- FURTHER INFORMATION