Strengthening the tobacco control community through webinars
Over the past decade, actions have been taken to raise public awareness and outrage on the dangers of smoking. African countries are increasingly accelerating efforts to protect their citizens from the dangers of tobacco by adopting and implementing policies in line with the provisions of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
In its effort to support the implementation of the FCTC, ATCA has launched a series of webinars to promote the sharing of experiences and good practices in tobacco control initiatives in Africa.
Understanding and dealing with the maneuvers of the tobacco industry and the PMI-funded Foundation for a Smoke-Free World.
Date: April 29, 2019
Moderator: Mr. Akinbode Oluwafemi, Chairperson of the ATCA Board of Directors
- Pr. Lekan Ayo-Yusuf, Professor of Public Health and Deputy Vice Chancellor: Research, Postgraduate studies & Innovation at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
- Dr. Ahmed OGWELL OUMA, International Public Health Consultant and Deputy Director of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC)
Prompted by multiple activities by tobacco multinationals and the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World to promote new technology tobacco products under the guise of tobacco harm reduction, this webinar enlightened advocates on various tobacco industry strategies, and proposed actions to counter them.
Africa Tobacco Control Talks: The Case of Kenya
Date: 26 September 2019
Moderator: Caleb Ayong, ATCA Communication Officer
- Dorcas Kiptui, Head of the Tobacco Control Division at the Kenyan Ministry of Health
- Joel Gitali, Chairman of the Kenyan Tobacco Control Alliance (KETCA)
The "Africa Tobacco Control Talks" webinar series aims to foster the sharing of best practices and success stories in tobacco control in Africa. Through these webinars, tobacco control stakeholders are inspired, motivated and equipped to deal with the tobacco industry's increasingly frequent maneuvers. This webinar focused on the Kenyan experience.
Africa Tobacco Control Talks: The Case of Senegal
Date: 28 November 2019
Moderator: Mr. Daouda Elhadj Adam, Francophone Africa Coordinator for the Framework Convention Alliance (FCA)
- Dr. Oumar Ba, Onco-Pneumologist and Coordinator of the National Tobacco Control Programme at the Ministry of Health of Senegal.
- Dr. Abdoul Aziz Kassé, Oncologist and President of « Association Prévenir ».
This second webinar in the Africa Tobacco Control Talks series enlightened participants on good practices and successes in tobacco control in Senegal.