Strengthening capacity in tobacco control through webinars
Within the last decade, a lot has been done to sensitize and create public awareness and outrage on the dangers of tobacco use. African countries are increasingly accelerating efforts to protect their citizens from the dangers of tobacco through the adoption and implementation of policies that align with provisions of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
In an effort to support the advancement of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), ATCA is organising a series of web seminars (webinars) to promote the sharing of experiences and best practices of tobacco control initiatives in Africa.
Understanding and dealing with the maneuvers of the tobacco industry and the PMI-funded Foundation for a Smoke-Free World
Date: 29 April 2019
Moderator: Mr. Akinbode Oluwafemi, Board Chairperson, African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA)
- Pr. Lekan Ayo-Yusuf, Professor of Public Health and Deputy Vice Chancellor: Research, Postgraduate studies & Innovation at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
- Dr. Ahmed OGWELL OUMA, International Public Health Consultant and Deputy Director of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC)
Prompted by multiple activities by tobacco multinationals and the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World to promote new technology tobacco products under the guise of tobacco harm reduction, this webinar enlightened tobacco control advocates on these industry strategies and actions to counter them.
Africa Tobacco Control Talks: The Case of Kenya
Date: 26 September 2019
Moderator: Caleb Ayong, Communications Officer, African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA)
- Dorcas Kiptui, Head of Division of Tobacco Control – Ministry of Health, Kenya
- Joel Gitali, Chairman, Kenya Tobacco Control Alliance (KETCA)
The Africa TC Talks webinar series aims at promoting the sharing of best practices and success stories of tobacco control initiatives in Africa. Through the webinars, tobacco control advocates are inspired, motivated, and empowered to adequately deal with the ever-increasing maneuvers of the tobacco industry. This webinar discussed the Kenyan experience.
Africa Tobacco Control Talks: The Case of Senegal
Date: 28 November 2019
Moderator: Mr. Daouda Elhadj Adam, Francophone Africa Coordinator of the Framework Convention Alliance (FCA)
- Dr. Oumar Ba, National Tobacco Control Programme Coordinator at MoH Senegal
- Dr. Dr Abdoul Aziz Kassé, President of Association Prévenir
This second webinar of the Africa Tobacco Control Talks series enlightened participants on the best practices and success story of the tobacco control journey so far in Senegal.