AFRICAN TOBACCO CONTROL ALLIANCE (ATCA)
JOB OPPORTUNITY - POST OF EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
The African Tobacco Control Alliance (ATCA) is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates who wish to be considered for the post of Executive Secretary.
ATCA is a non-profit and non-political Pan-African network of over 100 civil society organizations (CSOs) based in Lomé, Togo, and aims at promoting the health and well-being of the African population through tobacco control. Established in 2008, it carries out projects in African countries in collaboration with its CSO partners in view of implementing the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control of the World Health Organization (WHO FCTC).
ATCA is an equal opportunity employer and recruits for positions without consideration for race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin and marital status. Employment decisions are based entirely on merit.
THE POSITION: EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
The selected candidate will be responsible for strategic planning and oversight, building strategic partnerships, fundraising and fund management, project development and implementation. The Executive Secretary shall serve as the General Manager of ATCA’s Secretariat and will be answerable, and report directly to the Board of Directors of ATCA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify potential funding and/or collaborative strategic partnerships for ATCA and maintain relationship and on-going communication with funders/partners.
- Provide input into the development of funding proposals to prospective donors, as may be required, and ensure timely submission of proposals according to funders’ deadlines.
- Oversee all aspects of projects development.
- Monitor the implementation of projects activities and provide accurate advice and guidance to meet project outcomes.
- Ensure the preparation of ATCA’s medium- or long-term strategic plans.
- Oversee and provide inputs into the production of reports upon the completion of projects, including achievements, challenges and lessons learnt.
- Represent ATCA at regional/international meetings held either online or face-to-face.
- Manage and approve all budget and finance processes and procedures.
- Undertake visits as may be needed to ATCA partners and to current or prospective funders, as requested by the ATCA Board of Directors.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the operation of the Online Resource Centre of ATCA.
- Review outgoing communications through the website and the listservs.
- Oversee and provide input in the preparation of Annual Reports.
- Supervise the preparation of ATCA’s Board meeting.
- Prepare the agenda and minutes of the Board meetings.
- Prepare and submit regular updates to the ATCA Board.
- Prepare, organize and convene the ATCA General Assembly as stipulated in its Constitution.
- Supervise ATCA staff and ensure deliverables are being met according to work plans and timelines.
- Review and renew staff contracts in collaboration with ATCA Chair.
- Perform other duties related to the management of ATCA.
Candidates for the position of Executive Secretary of ATCA will be selected based on the following criteria:
- A Master’s degree in public health, health and social sciences, health economics, international development or any other relevant fields.
- A minimum of five years experience in a senior position with a regional or international organisation.
- Good understanding and application of strategic planning and project management concepts.
- Experience working with advocacy groups and policymakers to influence the formulation and implementation of policies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated track record in fundraising.
- Excellent skills in verbal communication and writing and editing reports for a global audience.
- A proven track record in managing human resources, budgets, projects and administration.
- Ability to engage and ensure effective communication with Board members.
- Be able to inspire trust and confidence of stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Proficiency in computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of tobacco control will be an advantage.
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only the best qualified candidates will be called for interview.
- ATCA reserves the right not to make any appointment following this advertisement without obligation to give any reason to candidates.
- The salary is negotiable.
- The duration of the contract is 3 years subject to a probationary period of 12 months.
- The selected candidate will be based in Lomé, Togo, where ATCA is headquartered.
- ATCA does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.